Wednesday 30 May 2012

Tsfat

Tsfat is one of the holiest cities in Judaism.  It is the center of Kabbalah, Jewish Mysticism, and a really cool city on a hilltop.  The streets are pedestrian only and curve and meander around.  There is the Synagogue Quarter and the Artists' Quarter.  The historical synagogues are very beautiful and have fascinating histories.  I really enjoy the feel of this old city and have been making phone calls trying to volunteer doing construction maintenance, painting, anything at some of these amazing, old synagogues.




Above, in the synagogue Abohav. 

I was here two years ago and still remember some of the shopkeepers from then (Samara can't believe I remembered 3 shop keepers from 2 years ago).  We hunted for one orthodox scribe who paints and writes Ketubahs - the Jewish marriage contract.  I found him and asked him if he used to be on the other side of the street and he said that he just moved one month ago since the prior building owner raised the rent on him.  We got info from him about our Ketubah for when we get married next year.



Samara surrounded by the traditional blue color of Tsfat.

Also I had been telling Samara about this restaurant that is run by a Yeminite Jew and serves Yeminite pizzas.  He basically makes a crepe and then fills it with your choice of cheese and other toppings.  It was as good as I remember.  No, it was better!  He also makes mint-lemonade.  So refreshing.  We ate there at lunch and then after touring all day stopped by for another helping before leaving town.






Jeremy wearing a traditional Yeminite hat and doing a Kabbalah hand sign.



Walking around the city, there are remnants of Israel's struggle for independence.  



We came around a corner and heard entrancing music and decided to find where it was coming from.  A trio of Orthodox Jews were performing traditional music for a tour group.  The instruments look similar to modern day instruments but slightly different.  One of the performers said his instrument was the great grandfather of the piano (the instrument in the video below).  The music was so good we bought their cd and listened to it on the drive home.



Driving home in our rental car we saw a Hasidic man on the side of the street hitchhiking.  After passing him, I told Samara I wish I stopped for him and she said, "Why didn't you?"  We decided he was the safest hitchhiker one could ever pick up.  U-turn!  I came back and asked him where he wanted to go.  He wanted to go to Tiberias, where we were heading.  He spoke little English, but we communicated back and forth well enough.  When we dropped him off near his destination, the tomb of Rambam, he thanked me and asked my name and mother's name because he wanted to pray for me!  Not a bad trade.


2 comments:

  1. Nice of you to pick up the hitchhiker. Kinda hard not to trust someone who is just trying to go pray... Jealous about the Yeminite place - reminds me of the soup guy on Seinfeld, only much nicer :) Love the picture of Samara with all the blue railings - so beautiful! Yay blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following this now. My wife Marcia and I were there last summer (along with Egypt/Jordan). I have the same video of the same Yeminite pizza maker!
    Daryl (your mom's cousin)

    ReplyDelete